LCO will be continuing work on the nearly restored 17th Century Sourp Astvatzatzin Church in the village of Yeghvard, Armenia. Yeghvard is located in the southern province of Syunik, on the Armenian-Azeri border. Yeghvard has been subject to several invasions, which has resulted in the destruction of the village on a number of occasions. The remains of Prince Thoros, who was a lieutenant and friend in arms of David Beg, are found in the cemetery adjoining the Church.
This renovation project began in 2007 and will be completed this summer. During this campaign, volunteers will be completing the surrounding walls and repositioning gravestones and memorials.
Yeghvard 2007 Yeghvard 2010
The second site is the Tchitchkhanavank Monastery in the village of Shirakamut in the northern Lori Province near Spitak. Tchitchkhanavank was built on the plan of a Christian cross, typical to the sixth and seventh centuries. This church was partially destroyed by an earthquake in 1926, neglected during the Soviet era, and again suffering destruction by the 1988 earthquake. In 2008 and 2009, LCO began the archaeological excavations, which revealed the church’s foundation along with ancient tombstones and objects of archaeological interest. This summer, volunteers will begin the renovation and construction of the foundation walls of the church. Historical experts, skilled craftsmen, and LCO Board Members are overseeing both restorations.