Restoration of the 16th century St Hovaness Church in Meghri, Armenia.
Campaign Dates: 3 week campaignAug 1st - 21st, 2017
Volunteers must make their own arrangements to meet in Yerevan by the campaign date.
Requirement: Volunteers are required to be 18 years of age by the campaign date.
Cost: The cost of the 3 week campaign is $500. This includes room and board at the site, local weekend excursions, and Yerevan hotel/hostel stay. Payment must be finalized by June 1st.
Work conditions: Work will be Monday through Friday, unless directed otherwise by the group leader. This is physical labor. Volunteers will be digging, shoveling, lifting stones, moving rocks, etc.
Living conditions: The group will be living in a house in the village. The group will be an international mix of volunteers. These are rural accommodations with limited water and shower facilities with use of outhouses. Volunteers will assist the cook in preparing meals, creating their own menus and hand washing their laundry.
Excursions: An LCO representative or a group leader arranges the local weekend excursions. Some of the local sites will be off the beaten path.
If you have any questions, please visit our FAQ page or send us an email, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Deadline: Application is due by May 31st, 2017. Space is limited.
For more information: Contact the campaign coordinator through the Contact Us page.
Summer 2017 Campaign Site Information
Meghri - Sourp Hovannes Mkrtich Church
Land and Culture Organization (LCO) will be continuing the renovation of the 16th Century Sourp Hovannes Mkritch (St. John the Baptist) basilica church in Meghri, Armenia.
This historical site is in severe disrepair and has a unique Armenian style. The ornamental motifs of the paintings are influenced by Persian decorative designs, which was probably done intentionally to prevent vandalism. Even the depicted structures were drawn in such a way as to resemble mosques. The walls of 17th-century churches in Meghri’s old and new quarters bear frescoes by artists from the family of Naghash Hovnatanian, a renowned artist from the period whose works are also within the Mother See of Holy Echmiadzin. The first phase of the project will be clearing of the church ground’s and archaeologic excavations with Armenian historical archaeologists.
Meghri, one of the most fascinating and remote cities in Armenia, is situated in the southern most tip overlooking the Iranian border on the Araks River.Today, as Armenia’s southern ‘gateway’, it maintains its strategic and economic significance as a town located at the crossroads of the South Caucasus; Armenia, Nagorno Karabakh, Iran and Russia.
The name Meghri derives from the Armenian “meghr” meaning honey. This tranquil quaint city of 4,500 is in a very fertile valley where they grow Armenia’s national symbol the pomegranate, figs, walnut, and persimmons. A river runs through the center of town, creatively named the Meghri River. Meghri has a warm and subtropical climate.
Meghri is built on terracing slopes which run down into the valley. A number of narrow streets stretch from the center of the town in different directions. Back in the 18th century, the town was divided into the Large (Mets Tagh), Medium (Meecheen Tagh) and Small (Pokr Tagh) Quarters. Each quarter or neighborhood has its own church – LCO campaign site Sourp Hovannes in the Medium Quarter, Sourp Asdvadzadin (St. Mary) in the Large Quarter, and Sourp Sarkis in the Small Quarter.
The fortress of Meghri that overlooks the city is originally from 1083 was rebuilt by the legendary Armenian national hero Davit Bek in the 18th Century. In 1727, 400 of Bek’s men held off the many times their number of Turkish troops for five days until reinforcements arrived. The statue of Meghri’s notable son, Armenian freedom fighter “Paramaz” Matteos Sarkissian is found in the city’s central square.
Located in the Arevik county of historical Syunik province, the area has been inhabited since the third millennium BC, proven by many archeological excavations and findings dating back to the Bronze and Iron Ages in 4-2 BC. Meghri was once an administrative area in the Artashesian and Arshakuniats kingdoms. In 428 AD, the territory was subjugated by the Persians, and in 640 AD it was invaded by Arabs. In 885 AD, Meghri became part of the Bagratuniats kingdom.
In the period of Persian dominion, Meghri was a residence of local nobility. In 1157, it was invaded by Seljuks and released only at the end of the 12th century. It then became part of Zakarian Armenia. In the 14th century, it appeared in the center of Timur Lenk’s invasions. Then the city was invaded by Turkmen tribes.
Between 1722 and 1728, the residents of Meghri participated in the Liberation Wars. In 1810, the Russian commander gave Meghri back to Persia. In 1828, however, under the Turkmenchai Agreement, Meghri went back to the Russian Empire. In the 1840s, it became a province of Karabakh and 28 years later an administrative part of Ganjak province. Whilst part of the Russian Empire, representatives of Meghri took an active role in local reforms and developments.